Sunday, January 29, 2012

Darkness

Reading a book for my Honors seminar, Architecture of Health, called Darkness Visible by William Styron. This is a memoir on Styron's dive into the "disease", as he refers to it, known as depression. I didn't quite finish it, I left the conclusion for today, but I can honestly say I got sucked into the book and stayed up until 8 in the morning reading it. That doesn't happen to me often but I was intrigued by the way the book depicted his depressive state while inserting small tangents about his medical background and life's history. I thought it was very well done.

It talks about how people with depression have a stigma attach to them, especially when they accept that they have depression and seek medical treatment. That inspires me to do one of my Cinema Production 1 (CP1) films on the state of depression and try and open up people to the realities of depression, similar to the way the book does. I'm not sure if it's too soon or too heavy of a topic to be doing in my career since I'd like to do it with the B&W reversal film in my CP1 class (I think it will have a more dramatic affect than being in color) but we are using that film stock first. I'm not sure if I can come up with the proper script in time to say what I really want to say, on account of the project is due in a few weeks, but I'll give it my best shot!

So that's what I wanted to say about that. I hope this blog wasn't too much of a snore. I realize it's a big chunk of writing and not a lot of pictures (which is my usual custom) but I wanted to share.

A apology to Katelyn, my roommate, for sleeping in so late. I know it must've been hard to do what you had to do while I was sleeping.

41 days until spring break! I miss you, Maine!

4 Comments:

At January 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM , Anonymous Memere Franck said...

Hi angel, Sounds like an interesting topic. so many people are plague with depression and try to hide it because of the stigma that comes with it.
Lewiston took the regionals in competition. Go Erika! I will try to go the states. Ciahra will be here. She can come if she wants to. Have a great day. Love you lots. Memere

 
At January 30, 2012 at 5:05 AM , Anonymous Dad said...

How long is your first film project suppose to be?

 
At January 30, 2012 at 5:45 AM , Blogger Amber Tebo said...

Not sure yet, he hasn't gone into the specifics and I haven't looked too deeply into the syllabus yet.

 
At January 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM , Anonymous Memere Franck said...

Good morning angel,
Suppose to snow here again today. I hate driving in that stuff. If I ever retire I will never do it again.
Hope you have a good day, not much happening here. Love you lots, memere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home