Friday, September 28, 2012

Love

Still sick. Went to Awaken tonight and now going back to bed (I slept all afternoon). But before I go I wanted to share a few verses that have enlightened me.

Romans 12:9-12
9 Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good; 10 love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor. 11 Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope; endure in affliction, persevere in prayer.

Galatians 1:10
10 Am I now currying favor with human beings or God? Or am I seeking to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ.

In order to better understand that verse, I looked up the definition of currying. Currying favor is an idiom that means "to seek to advance oneself through flattery or fawning" (Dictionary.com definition).

This is how I interpreted this verse. We mustn't try to advance ourselves by pleasing others. Such pursuits are frivolous, they will do nothing for us. Seek to please God and he will lead you, provide for you, and love you unconditionally.
Love.

You.

Unconditionally.


This verse is a little hard for me to comprehend because I love to make everyone happy and I don't like anyone to be upset with me or be angry or sad because I did not give them what they wanted. But it is impossible to please everyone and I think if I seek to please God then I can still continue to help others in His name instead of for my own benefit and advancement. These verses are both about giving yourself up to God. That seems to be a pattern I'm seeing. Love is good but it is nothing without Christ.

1 Comments:

At September 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM , Anonymous Memere Franck said...

Hi angel, Hope you are feeling better.Hope you can get more rest this weekend. I agree with those verses. I hate when I am not making people happy and sometimes trying to hard still does not work. I think there has to be a balance of making yourself happy and others along the way. It is tuff at times. I pray all the time for HIM to help me make the right choices. Love you lots. Memere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home