An Analytical Mindset
Just got out of a meeting with my professor to discuss my concept and development for the upcoming paper. Needless to say I'm in a very Academic mindset. Upon leaving, I ran into someone, which leads me to want to discuss interpersonal relationships.
Before I begin, it is germane for you to know the course load I have been taking this semester. Aside from my major requirements (Cinema Production 2 and Screenwriting) I'm also taking Introduction to Sociology, Psychology and an honors seminar called Staging History. I realized after a couple weeks into my semester that and to quote myself "it was a bad idea to take Sociology and Psychology in the same semester." For those Who don't know much about either, let me explain why.
Sociology requires you to adopted a "sociological imagination." And I am not making that up, it is a key concept in sociology. This mindset or way of looking at the world that is very much a bigger picture kind of view. If we happen to look at an individualistic point of view, we always connect it back to society and the implications that particular view has on society as a whole. Connecting back with the "So what?" argument, if I may quote my professor.
On the other hand, Psychology is a very individualistic social science. It is much more inclusive and, dare I say, accepting of individualistic points of view in its understanding of people and, thus, research of those individuals.
That being said, I find myself wanting to connect the two. I would like to take an sociological approach on the individual, specifically in regards to interpersonal relationships and how they affect how our lives play out. In this I know, that's big mountain to tackle but give me a chance to explain what's going through my head.
Before I go into that though, I need to explain a bit about that odd ball class, Staging History. I can only imagine the thoughts that were running through your head about what kind of class that would be. For instance, maybe something like "Oh is it a performance class? Are they going to reenact different times in history and evaluate the implications of those moments in time and possibly assess how they could have gone differently? No, not quite. But as a person who loved history in high school, that sounds like a great class. Let me know if they create a class like that, I will take it. Perhaps a proposal to the head of Honors is in order. Hmmm.
Anyway, I'm getting off track. In Staging History, we read modern plays and discuss their place in history. Eh, my explanation doesn't really do justice to the class. Below is the course summary developed by my Professor. She better explains it that I.
In this course, we will examine numerous 20th century dramas that fit (with varying degrees of neatness) within the general category we will call “the history play.” It is worth admitting from the start that this category is a slippery one, and we will devote a fair bit of energy to defining and redefining its borders. The problem is surely connected to the question of how one defines “history,” a concept that is itself not static. It was not until the 19th century that historians came to regard themselves as scientists engaged in a particular discipline detached from other humanist enterprises, one dedicated to the rigorous uncovering of “facts.” And of course, the very instant that modern history was born, philosophers and artists set about rebelling against its certainty, denying the possibility that the past could be recaptured “as it really happened.”
So I'd also like to include that this class is kind of sociological even though it is a Fine Arts credit. Any analysis of a play or a film is if you think about it (which I must say reconfirms my major of choice). So in class when we look at plays and films we are taking an outside view on this persons life. We get to see everything that happens to a character and decide what were good decisions and what they character might have done differently if the outcome wasn't what he/she expected. I think that is why we as humans like plays and movies. We can see the outcome. We can see the end result of the bigger picture.
In much, if not all, of life you can't know what's going to happen. You just make the best decisions you can based on the information you have.
I am of the belief that interpersonal relationships develop our sense of self and shape how we act and behave. Essentially, how we choose to present ourselves. And by this I don't mean to say everyone is acting. This idea of presenting oneself comes from sociologist Erving Goffman. His idea of dramaturgy is an approach in which social life is analyzed in it's similarities to theatrical performance. Hence my mentioning of the Staging History class I'm in. Life is like a play (or a film). Every character is influential to a story in one way or another. We just don't know what's gonna happen or why they are even there...yet.
I use to believe that everyone enters your life for a reason. Recently, I have developed a new spin on that idea. Everyone that enters your life is meant to shape who you become. Granted you have some say on how much you let them influence you, but sometimes change happens to in ways you least expect it. And it's not until later you discover you've been change.
So what? Why should you care? That's what any good sociologist would ask right? Well, if interpersonal relationships shape who you are, that means you have some control in who you become by only allowing people to enter your life who you believe will change you for the better.
However, I admit as humans this idea of controlling interpersonal communications is just not possible. We can't know what's going to happen and for the most part, our judgments are bias and flawed. We must trust in God to show us the right path and to lead us to the people we are meant to interact with. Listen to God; do not stray from Him. Only He knows the truly bigger picture. He see things in ways that we, as humans, cannot possibly fathom.
We as people, tend to make judgments before we get to know someone. Myself included. This video shows that we mustn't let ourselves become "clique-y". Everyone has a story and a path and God loves everyone. So should we.
Matthew 6:48 So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.
John 13:15 I have given you a model to follow so that as I have done for you, you should also do.



2 Comments:
Certainly is a lot going on in that pretty little head of yours Sweetie. Thanks for sharing some of it. I was expecting who you ran in to to be important bt I guess it just led you to analyze the event of running in to someone. Have a great day.
Love,
Dad
Love you too, Dad. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home