Missions Field - Day 19
Hey all!
Sorry I didn't post last night. Crazy day yesterday!
I woke up at 7am to do the Metro excursion guided by Jon, the programs and services coordinator for the ICLA program. We took the bus to Hollywood Blvd and then the Metro to Union Station. I got my first Tap card and tried to go down and up escalator. Mr. NYC in our group thought that was hilarious (which it was, truthfully). No I didn't actually start walking on it but I was head right for it than did an immediate U-ey.
Anyway, once we got to Union station, we checked out a couple museums, including the Chinese American Museum and the oldest house in LA. Yes I have pictures...can I get them off my camera? Not yet. :(
Then I had a meeting with Jackie, the internship advisor. She's very helpful. We had talked briefly the day before so when we met up she had already picked out a few internships she thought would suit me. Awesome!
After that (no the day's not over yet) I hiked to the Hollywood sign with the ICLA group. I do have a picture of that because others were photographing. Mine will come soon, I promise!
And after a long day of exploring the metro, going to museums, intern searching, and hiking, the day must be over...right? Wrong! 8pm, the lovely James and Nate gave my roomie (Talia) and I a ride to Target so we could finish rounding out our apartment, food and otherwise.
I've accepted that everything is going to be more expensive than I'm use to. However, I'm finding it's still possible to find a good deal if you try hard enough. My cost: $150. Ouch, right? However, that did include ground beef, towels and a quilt for my bed in addition to stocking the fridge and pantry. We also got a little more cookware and some cleaning supplies so I feel like we made out ok. The initial price tag of starting an apartment is always pretty scary but Talia was impressed with how little my selections actually cost. Shout out to the .99 cent store for helping!
Oh and I have to tell you about the quilt buy. So I went into the blanket section and almost immediately turned around and said, "Screw it I'll just be cold" $60! I thought, 'this can't be right.'
So I kept looking and eventually found just a flimsy comforter, nothing else included, for $20. Meh. Then I turned around a spotted a quilt with a clearance tag on it. $17.99! Granted, the colors are a little girly for my taste and it's supposed to be for a full size bed but $17.99 for a nice heavy quilt? I think I can deal. I won't be looking at the colors while I'm sleeping nice and warm anyway.
On the way home, they started talking about churches their families went to and the different sects of religion. I hadn't been in the conversation before that point and felt like I should say something, but wasn't sure what to say. Religion isn't something I know a lot about. For me, Christianity is not about religion. It's about faith: a belief in the heavenly Father above, the holy and perfect Son he sent to die for us, and the Holy Spirit that dwells within us and guides our every step. I just pray that I didn't miss an opportunity.
Lastly, and rather unfortunately, by the time we got back and got unloaded and I sat down to read my bible, it was almost midnight and I couldn't keep my eyes on the page. Next thing I know, my roomie is wrapping up the animals crackers I had enlisted to help me stay awake while I read and she headed off to bed. Not sure what time it was at that point, but I crawled to bed, said a little prayer, and passed out...under my nice pink and purple tie-dye quilt. :)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home