Missions Field - Day 27
The idea of being yourself for God. Nowhere in the bible does it say, "thou shalt be yourself" but I believe it's important to find who you are and I think I can prove that the bible agrees with me.
Growing up, I always struggled with figuring out who I was, so much so that when I became a Christian, I went to books and researched online and observed others around me to try and figure out how to be the best Christian I could be. Being away from friends has helped me to start talking to God directly. Sure, we have our fights (had one the other night) but I think God is pleased to be hearing from me instead of the person I think he wants me to be.
Ok, Amber, you said you were going to prove this pursuit is biblical. I did, didn't I? Well, it's important to clarify that I'm not trying to justify being selfish or self-center because that is unbiblical and is in no way the focus of a God-centered life. I'm talking about taking the time to discover who you are so you can be the best you for God that you can be.
One of the ten commandments are broken when you are not yourself for God. Do not covet. Covet, what does that mean? When you look to others and think, "Oh I wish I could be as good a Christian as them" or "Look at what they are doing, if I'm going to be a good Christian, I should do that too." Now there are somethings we all should do in Christ, but they are plainly written in scripture (Galatians 5:22-23). When you look around to others for the rest, you're missing out on an opportunity for God to use you. We all have different spiritual gifts given to us by the Father through the Spirit to be use for "the common good" (1 Corinthians 12) and we are all called to use them in joint function with one another and to "the measure of our faith" (Romans 12) not to according to the measure of that person's faith.
I also find I am least at peace with God when I'm trying to be something I'm not, because my desires are focused outside of God and not upwards towards Him. This pilgrimage has already been very helpful. I've begun to relied less on being a good person in the sight of everyone around me and more on being righteous for God. I challenge you to do the same.
Another interview later and then going to check out a college/young adult bible study. You better believe I found a friday night bible study. One of the girls from the group offered to give me a ride and we're going to get dinner first. Yay! I know there is no Awaken today but I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. <3


1 Comments:
Hi angel bug, Love all the pictures.Looks beautiful there. Freezing here. I am trying this because I couldn't send other way. Hope it works. Love you. Memere
Post a Comment
<< Home